Saturday, May 17, 2008

Sloppy Josephine's

Did you ever have a day when you wanted something but you didn't know what it was? You make a mental list and sit there silently going, "no, no, no, no..."

Then it hits you, it is something from your childhood, something you haven't had in a long time and there is something about today, this moment, that brought it back, a fuzzy old synapse.

Sloppy Joe's.

I know what you are thinking no meat- no Joe's. Oh I don't think so!

Not only did I have them but I also had homemade fries and Hawaiian punch.

In real life white bread and I don't see that much of each other. I have tasted too many other wonderful breads to appreciate gluey processed white bread. For this dish though I knew there could be no other so I went to the bakery at my local Safeway and bought a bag of those marshmallow soft dinner rolls. They come 900 to a bag and bring back a million Thanksgiving dinners.

Here is what ya gotta have...

The above mentioned Dinner Rolls, we won't eat all of them, just some of them then we will kindly give them to a neighbor, feed ducks, or make bread pudding that we will also give to our neighbors.

That lovely green bag of Morning Star Grounds.

One beautiful yellow onion all chopped up in itty-bitty pieces.

One can of Sloppy Joe sauce. They still make it, I was shocked but happy.


For the home fries you will need:

A couple really gigantic red potato's.

Olive oil.

Salt and pepper.


Pour about two inches of olive oil into a deep skillet. Remember the rules of frying! No kids, never naked. Get it nice and hot while you are rinsing and slicing the potato's. I don't usually peel but we are having white bread might as well peel them.

When the oil is nice and hot slide some taters in nice and easy, be sure the oil covers them. They should cook until they get nice and golden. This is going to take longer than you think.

In another skillet add olive oil and all those onions. Cook them way down until they are all limp and see through. Then add the grounds until it all starts to brown. When it looks and smells yummy add the sauce. I didn't add all of the sauce because I am not seven anymore and I knew that an adult pallet can only handle so much. I did make it nice and saucy though.

The fries should be about ready so get a some paper towels, newspaper or a paper bag to put the fries on so you can drain off some of that oil. Add a little salt and pepper.

I tore the rolls open and let them sit in under the broiler for just a minute to get them a little toasty then spooned on the filling.

This is one of those dishes kids will love. It is easy and nostalgic. It is also one of those things you might not make often but what a treat.

Hawaiian Punch was one of my most favorite drinks as a kid. If I drank it now I would have a sugar headache for a week.

Here is my version:

I can of frozen concentrate fruit punch. I buy the stuff that is actually made with real fruit juice.
In a large pitcher I add the can of concentrate, sparkling water, slices of orange, lemon, lime and some frozen berries. I throw in hand fulls of crushed ice and viola yummieness!

Just so you don't think I am totally disgusting I did make a nice green salad with a light dressing to relieve a little guilt.

No comments: